Thursday, January 2, 2014

BET YA YOU THOUGHT I WAS LOST, DIDN'T YA?

Two months isn't bad, I've seen some blogs where the poster has been busy a lot longer than that.  I haven't given up on them though.  I know they are out there and ...just busy!

Katie is on Day 51 already!  She says (in letters - sure do miss her voice!), that they started with around 72 females and she thinks they are down to about 40-45.  They are either sent home, held back for injuries, or held back for remedial trainings.  She has passed the swim tests, obstacle course, Rifle 1 firing - EXPERT BABY!, (doing Rifle 2 this week), rappelling, and written tests.  I am still planning on driving to South Carolina the week of January 20th so I am still praying for dry roads.

My quilt room update.  The 2 walls I was waiting for my honey to put up has turned in to:  making 2 new walls, putting wall boards up on the other 2 walls, insulation installed, new wiring, new ceiling tiles to go in, and a new double fuse box to go in.  If I even realized all the sawdust that was going to occur, I think I would have moved more than half my things upstairs here somewhere.  I think I will have lots of cleanup to come when it comes time for him to say he is all finished.  He has been working on the room just about everyday since the fall, so I suppose I better make sure I spend a lot of time down there once it's done.  The only problem I can see is he says the room is 16 x 20 FT, my daughters room is 10 x 10 FT.  I already have taken quilty stuff out of the dining room, the living room, and my bedroom and put it in her unoccupied room.  I casually mentioned to him that some of it might have to stay upstairs here in her room because there is no way to make the room larger in the basement.  It's always good to warn our dear honey's ahead of time.  Haha!  

My new list for quilty projects for 2014, I think I will work off the 'started and will finish' list that I already have posted.  I pulled out the 10 Minute blocks that are 5" square and sat and designed a queen size quilt that would have used up all the blocks I would have gotten made from the 5 sets of charm packs I have.  Then I had to come up with Plan C.  Plan A - I figured I only had enough to make a lap size quilt.  I decided that if I was going to put all that work into those blocks, it was going to be a larger quilt.  Plan B was the queen size quilt with a center panel from other fabrics in my stash with the smaller blocks all around the outside.  Plan C is because I didn't turn the middle fabric correctly and after sewing 60 seams and they were turning out with the wrong side showing in the middle - I thought to myself that I am not supposed to concern myself with such troublesome blocks.  Now, they might be troublesome to me but probably not to everyone else.  I think that if one is to do one of the 10 Minute Block quilts, it is better to fuss with that center part using 10" squares from a layer cake instead of 5" squares from a charm pack.  So, I now have 13 or 14 completed blocks and have used some of them in a very long runner that I think will hang in my new quilt room vertically and the rest I am going to try and make some small fabric boxes for gifts.  If the fabric boxes turn out pretty cool, I think I will whip some up in the summer for the teacher gifts for next Christmas and I won't fret about that all Fall. 

I'll be back soon, I promise!

TaDa.     Trish    

No comments:

Post a Comment